Sunday, July 22, 2012

True Freedom Comes From Within and Without

What constitutes true "freedom" has been in contention amongst humans for centuries. Is it simply not being subject to another man? Is it choosing whether or not to be subject to another man or being? Is it simply knowing things?

I don't know the answers to all those questions and I hold that no one has ever really known. However, there are different concepts of "freedom" that can work for different individuals. "Freedom," as most human concepts are, is a subjective term. It can mean about anything one wants it to mean.

As I've begun a journey of self redefinition or self "rediscovery," as I tend to put it, I began thinking on the subjectivity in language more. What one man calls freedom may not mean freedom to another. Just as one woman's "evil" could be another's "good." Its all a personally impersonal form of lexicography. Your personal "dictionary" as I've come to think of it, is different from mine and from anyone's. It is part of what makes each of us an individual.

A few things I have recently realized about freedom are these:

True Freedom comes from within oneself as well as from without:

  • From the "self" but NOT the "ego"
  • From one's spiritual beliefs (usually this means from a "deity" or "deities")
  • From meditations
  • From practicing daily health and well-being
While I believe those things are true, this last is the most important to me:

True Freedom and Liberty means being no more or less than what YOU are.

All other definitions of those two terms, to me, fall short of their true meanings.

Blessings,

- Lykeios - AKA Adam -



Quote(s) of the Day
"If, therefore, any man be unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone." - Epictetus

No comments:

Post a Comment