Saturday, July 21, 2012

On Being Moderate (In All Things)

This isn't anything new. It has just taken me a long time to figure out for myself.

This "epiphany," if you will, came to me after a couple of beers, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is some flawed logic behind it. However, upon re-examining it while more sober, I don't think there is.

"Moderation in all things" - One recommendation from the maxims/proverbs inscribed on the pillars of ancient Delphi (AKA "the Delphic Maxims")

I've read this recommendation countless times. For some reason I've only just now realized how important it truly is. It has little to do with "limiting" ones self, as I originally thought, and more to do with cultivating all-around health.

Lately, I have espoused some fairly radical political views and have tried to argue in their favor. Upon coming to this particular "personally impersonal realization" I came to the thunderous conclusion that my radicalism will persuade or convince no one, no matter how fervent and intense I am about it. In fact, the more polarized and passionate I reveal myself to be on ANY topic, the more I turn people off.

To some, this might be an obvious "realization." As I am, however, inclined to be a very passionate person, it took me years to realize its truth. I've even vainly considered myself a "stoic" and a "taoist" when I have, quite obviously on looking back, never actually expressed any of the ideals present in those philosophies.

As a part of my continual self-revival and self-redefinition, I shall strive to attain concordance with the following ideas.

A more moderate expressed perspective is:
a. more persuasive AND
b. more threatening AND
c. more EFFECTIVE in general

If you could not tell, "c." is the most important.

So concludes this "personally impersonal realization." May it help you come to your own realizations and assist me in gaining "moderation" in my own life.


No comments:

Post a Comment